Blog | December 27th, 2021
RMM vs. MDM: What’s the difference?
A reliable and efficient IT management software is a must for running a successful business. RMM and MDM may have a lot of similar features but it is their differences that can help you decide which software is more ideal for your business.
When it comes to selecting efficient remote monitoring and management software, technologists are often at a loss when deciding between RMM (remote monitoring and management) solutions. Platforms like Kaseya VSA, N-able Technologies’ nworks, SolarWinds MSP Manager, etc., have features that are comparable in nature.
RMM vs MDM: Quick Overview
Remote Monitoring & Management (RMM) software allows technicians to remotely control computers, devices, programs, and network access. RMM provides remote monitoring, quick issue resolution, automated deployments and updates, and hardware and software inventory. RMM programs can be installed on your network to keep track of devices and provide remote support through the cloud.
On the other hand, Mobile Device Management (MDM) provides secure access to corporate information from mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. MDM performs device tracking, application management, data security, and policy control.
Pros and Cons of RMM
Pros of RMM
- RMM programs allow technicians to remotely control computers, devices, programs, and network access.
- Monitors the health and performance of the devices and actively gives alerts that allow technicians to proactively resolve issues.
- An RMM program can provide advanced reporting allowing MSPs to identify areas of the business that are more prone to problems.
- Outsourced RMM programs include 24/7 support, allowing technicians access to better tools and expertise.
Cons of RMM
- RMM requires an upfront investment in time and money for installation, configuration, training, and troubleshooting.
- RMM does not provide mobile device management or data security.
Pros and Cons of MDM
Pros of MDM
- MDM ensures secure access to corporate information from mobile devices.
- MDM performs device tracking, application management, and data security, policy control, patch management, configuration profiles.
- MDM helps track compliance requirements and standards.
Cons of MDM
- MDM can cost up to three times RMM.
- MDM software must be purchased per device, which can increase costs if you have a large number of devices under management.
Main Differences between RMM and MDM
While MDM is more focused on mobile devices, RMM is more inclusive of network and system monitoring. RMM also requires you to purchase RMM software for multiple platforms (Linux, Mac, and Windows), while MDM works with a single platform across all devices.
RMM provides solutions in patch management, malware protection, and end-point security like antivirus. RMM can be combined with eFolder Replibit for a higher level of data protection.
RMM is more flexible when it comes to licensing which can be based on the number of managed devices or support hours per month vs. purchasing licenses by a device. This adds up quickly if you have a large number of devices under management. RMM reduces your initial investment and operational costs because RMM supports multi-platforms compared to MDM which can only support mobile devices.
If you’re looking for a reliable computer management solution, it can be confusing to know which is the best option. RMM and MDM have many similarities but there are key differences that will help you decide what software is right for your business. With Contango, not only do you get a free RMM, we can also help identify if you need an additional MDM system. Still wondering how to improve your company’s IT infrastructure? Ask us now and we’ll be happy to guide you in the right direction!
Like our articles? Get them in your inbox.
Cybersecurity | September 14th, 2023read
Cybersecurity | December 19th, 2022read
Cybersecurity | December 17th, 2022read
Cybersecurity | December 14th, 2022read
Blog | November 3rd, 2022read
You Are One Click Away From a Game Changing IT Support
Contact us todayGET STARTED